Smoothwall Firewall project

Tuesday 6 October 2009

Migrating my Dell laptop to Ubuntu 9.10 64bit

I have used 64bit Fedora before on a works workstation, but I haven't until now decide to move any of my personal workstations to a 64 bit operating system. Well , as always with these decisions, there have been a couple of events that make this move now easier, though I fully suspect I will hit the odd road bump on the way.

The three main announcements that have changed my mind are - Adobe have a 64bit version of the flash player available , and both Firefox and Chromium/Chrome are available in 64bit versions. I know there are some applications like Adobe Air that are stubbornly remaining 32bit for now, but you can work around this with 32bit libraries. This is not ideal, but I can live with it for now.

I have this morning burnt the beta to a USB pen drive to test the Dell XPS 1330, and all went well, with the wireless connecting instantly and I was browsing the web within seconds of the OS booting. I downloaded the 64bit version of the flash player and it worked with both Chromium and Firefox. The one thing I noticed was how rapid the system worked, considering it was working in Live mode from a USB pen drive. This could be a combination of the new version of Ubuntu and the native 64bit applications, but time will tell on that one.

I now have to back up all the "stuff" I have managed to collect in /home over the last couple of years , and then I will blow away the currently install OS and give Ubuntu 64bit the harddisk, and unless I hit any really major problems, I 'm going to stick with this as it really does seem silly to be running a 32bit OS on the latest 64bit hardware.

I will post again shortly after the upgrade and on any issues I hit on the road.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been using 64-bit Ubuntu for a couple of years now, and I am excited to learn that Flash is now 64-bit...This was a serious headache to install for someone like me with no programming experience (esp. back in the ndiswrapper days of Feisty, yikes). How does one go about installing the 64-bit version of flash for Firefox and Chrome/Chromium? Is it as simple as visiting the Adobe site or does one have to add a repo in order to update? Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for this blog as well. I got onto it because of my interest in eeebuntu, which I had installed until I shifted my notebook to the Dell Mini 9, but this remains a great resource for Linux newbs like me.

Cheers!

Codfather said...

Hi John, glad you liked the blog. This post is coming from the newly installed OS, and it's flying along, definitely worth the effort. Anyway, to get the driver go here:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Then all I did to test it with the USB stick was to put the file in /home/nick/.mozilla/plugins. You can of course put it in the proper mozilla location which is under /usr/lib, but it doesn't work any differently ;-)

Let me know how you get on.

Nick