Smoothwall Firewall project

Tuesday 17 March 2009

Strange feature to get VMware client to work



I thought I would put up a simple blog post to mention how I got the VMware Windows Infrastructure Client to work with my VMware servers the today. The main reason is I could only find scant mention of it on the Web and this might save someone a lot of time.

Basically once you have installed this client - version 2.5 in my case running in a Windows VM - and attempt to connect to a VMware Server 2.0 server running on Ubuntu, the client would fail with the message displayed.

The solution is to add the port :8333 to the end of the IP address, and it then works. Why you should have to do this is not clear, but it works perfectly once you have done this, so hopefully it will save you some time.

I just hope this post will save you some time and energy.

No comments: